ELKINS, WV "BEYOND THE DRAGON"

This forum is for riders in the Shenandoah Valley.

Moderator: shoresr

shoresr

ELKINS, WV "BEYOND THE DRAGON"

Post by shoresr »

Jeff Martin planned our first OVERNIGHT MOTORCYCLE RIDE since COVID!! If you like TWISTIES, mountains and beautiful scenery this ride would be hard to beat.

Both routes east and west (rt 33 and rt 250) are listed as recommended scenic and twisty motorcycle roads in REVER and Butler Maps.
Elkins.jpg
Skyline drive south from Front Royal to the rt 33 exit. Then rt 33 west to Elkins WV. Stay the night at the Holiday Inn Express in Elkins. From Elkins WV we’ll take rt 219 south to Huttonville and then rt 250 east back to Skyline drive and then all the Skyline Drive back to Lake Frederick.
Warren and Tom were anxious to get started
Warren and Tom were anxious to get started
Our first break was at the Big Meadows Visitor's Center. The 55 miles of "twisties" at 35 mph on Skyline Drive to Big Meadows proved to be a good warmup for the rest of the ride into Elkins. :D ;)

Those who are participating in the "LAKE FREDERICK MOTORCYCLE CLUB VIRGINIA NATIONAL PARKS CHALLENGE" we able to get their stamp at the visitors center.
Elkins25.jpg
WHAT?  There's no gas pedal!!
WHAT? There's no gas pedal!!
This was the first ride for Butch on his new Spyder. Jim was trying to show him where the gas pedal was located. :roll: Warren was perplexed by the whole situation. Butch's Spyder is really nice.
"I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND--I AM USE TO 2 WHEELS NOT 3!
"I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND--I AM USE TO 2 WHEELS NOT 3!
Butch's new SPYDER
Butch's new SPYDER
Lunch the first day at the Thunderbird Cafe, just as we came off Skyline drive and before we got to Harrisonburg. The weather was perfect so we sat outside and had a very good lunch.
Elkins01.jpg
Elkins02.jpg
Tom wanted to know why he didn't get to order first
Tom wanted to know why he didn't get to order first
Elkins04.jpg
Jeff's favorite the BREAKFAST BURRITO
Jeff's favorite the BREAKFAST BURRITO
After lunch we headed into West Virginia to Seneca Rocks.
SENECA ROCKS, WEST VIRGINIA
SENECA ROCKS, WEST VIRGINIA
thumbnail_IMG_1848.jpg (80.73 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Seneca Rocks is a popular destination for avid climbers because of the variety of climbing available. The West Virginia rock formation has 375 mapped climbing routes, some as high as 300 feet. Since 1971, 15 people have died while climbing the craggy peak, according to a sign at the top.
Elkins07.jpg
Elkins06.jpg
I tried to talk Jeff into buying a coon skin cap in the general store, but he didn't go for it.
Elkins08.jpg
Jeff, Steve and Tom were our three BMW riders who, as Tom's says, "LED US ON A VERY SPIRITED RIDE". (I don't know how that Gold Wing got into the picture :o Just "want to be" I guess. :D ) They are excellent riders and their BMW's made those curvy roads look fun and easy
Elkins21.jpg
Cliff, our man who has "THE NEED FOR SPEED" never let those BMW out of his sight. :o
Elkins22.jpg
It was great to have Steve along and boy can he ride that BMW.

The Holiday Inn in Elkins was a nice stop. We filled their covered motorcycle parking which surrounded a picnic area complete with a BBQ grill. After a nice dinner we gathered at the picnic area to share Cliff's 16 year old Single Malt and Warren's Tennessee Honey. The aching muscle were soon forgotten
Elkins13.jpg
Jim was explaining the virtues of a Gold Wing.
Jim was explaining the virtues of a Gold Wing.
No one wanted to get back on their motorcycles to find a place to eat, so we started walking. Jim thought we should go to JIMBO'S, We ended up at CJ Maggies and it was a good choice.
Elkins12.jpg
Elkins11.jpg
Elkins09.jpg
Elkins10.jpg
Before getting on Skyline Drive for the ride home we stopped at Mrs Rowe's in Staunton. We tease Tom about being a slow eater so we asked the waitress to bring Tom his food first.
She did, about 15 minutes before the rest of us but he was still the last one to finish. :lol:
Elkins16.jpg
Elkins17.jpg
Elkins18.jpg
THE "CREAM COMES TO THE TOP"
THE "CREAM COMES TO THE TOP"

A big THANK YOU goes out to Jeff. He did an excellent job of planning and leading this ride. It was great to made new friends and get to know old friends better.

The route ***** 5 stars
The food *****
The lodging *****
Good friends *****************

Thanks Jeff

Notes:
Riders: Jeff M. (ride leader and planner) BMW, Steve K., BMW, Tom C., BMW, Jim R., Gold Wing, Roger S., Gold Wing, Warren D, Spyder, Cliff E. Sypder, Gary B., Spyder, Butch, Spyder.
Cardo Paktalk Intercoms--Thanks to Warren getting everyone setup, worked great. Riding without communications on a ride like this would be almost impossible. It takes a "VILLAGE" and we had one. Because of our communications we handled several difficult situations very easily and efficiently.
REVER: Rever is not perfect, but those who used it and could make it work, liked it. On a long ride, it is nice to know how much further it is--bathroom, gas, motel!! REVER, before the ride said it was 441 miles. My odometer when I got home said 448 and I know where the extra 7 miles came from. That is pretty remarkable.
Jbnp97

Re: ELKINS, WV "BEYOND THE DRAGON"

Post by Jbnp97 »

Wow, so sorry to have missed this ride. I look forward to something like this in future, but I’ll have to find consolation in having fun with those grandchildren :D ! Looks like great time had by all; photos are priceless!
Jeanmarie
Buzzard II

Re: ELKINS, WV "BEYOND THE DRAGON"

Post by Buzzard II »

Jeff should have bought the cap. That's a Fess Parker original Davy Crockett from 1954. Don't ask how I know.