Major Version Upgrade Completed!

The place to discuss anything under the sun.
JerryM100

Major Version Upgrade Completed!

Post by JerryM100 »

Guys,

I just updated the forums to a major new version (from 3.0.11 to 3.1.8). I have been procrastinating on this for a long time since it is a "no-fail" event. So I have spent the last several days, nearly full-time, reading and researching, backing up, and converting some of my other websites just so I know exactly how to do it and, more importantly, how to recover from my backups. As they say, and untested backup is like having no backup at all.

So I am quite pleased to say that the upgrade is now done. For most of you it will be transparent except a few menu items have changed. The old extension that gave us the menus across the top (weather, road conditions, etc) is not compatible with this new version so they are gone. Most of the changes make life better for me in the administration of the forums as well as better overall security and bug fixes.

But the biggest change is that the forums are now compatible with small screens. That means if you have a smartphone (iPhone or Android), or a tablet (iPad or Samsung Galaxy or Microsoft) the forums will now display quite nicely. They are now usable! Check it out!

What that also means is that Tapatalk is no longer installed. You shouldn't need it now, you can use the forums directly, but I understand if you used Tapatalk to manage many different forums this one will no longer be there. Please let me know what you think...

I can't tell you what a load off this is to get this done. We are much better off now whether you guys see it or not.

Your humble website admin

Jerry
Jerry M
I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
ImageImageImage
Parkville Rider

Re: Major Version Upgrade Completed!

Post by Parkville Rider »

Like before, the emails aren't coming consistently on new posts to subscribed topics. Not sure why but Tapatalk was always immediate.
Gary D.
a.k.a. Romeo Map Genie
Parkville MO
2014 BMW K1600GT
Roadpounder

Post by Roadpounder »

Hi Jerry:
I assume you're the one responsible for the recent changes to the web site. If so I want to thank you for the change that allows for batch uploads of attachments. Since I've been been blessed with the task of photographer for the north central group, the batch upload feature makes life a lot easier. I did notice however the upgrade did delete several pics from each post. This seems to be random regarding which pics disappear. The only way I've found to get them back is to re-upload them. What I've been doing is for each ride I delete all the pics and batch upload them again and they're all there. However the batch feature works quite well.

Thanks,
Marty
JerryM100

Post by JerryM100 »

I have noticed that and a few people have commented about missing pictures. I don't know why, or how many, or how to fix that. I am just glad the overall process worked and didn't blow up. There are now over 13 gigabytes of pictures in the system! I am going to have to upgrade the hosting service to handle it all! But it is quite rewarding to see so many people taking so many pics in all the groups. And also very rewarding to be able to provide the service that allows so many people to enjoy lunch with friends every week.
Jerry M
I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
ImageImageImage
Harley-Charlie

Post by Harley-Charlie »

Uploading photos process-procedure is much improved! Wonderful, Thank you.
Charley on a Harley.
Photography fanatic and Harley-Davidson snob :D
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure.
If you don't take the time to do it right, you'll find the time to do it twice.
Harley-Davidson - 2018 Ultra Limited, 2016 Dyna Street Bob, 2014 Sportster 1200T