SWINGING BRIDGES - NORTH FORK SHENANDOAH RIVER

This forum is for riders in the Shenandoah Valley.

Moderator: shoresr

shoresr

SWINGING BRIDGES - NORTH FORK SHENANDOAH RIVER

Post by shoresr »

What's better to do on a beautiful Sunday afternoon than go on a motorcycle ride.

Cliff took me on a ride to try to find a swinging bridge that he had visited over thirty years ago :!: I found his story of the "swinging" bridge very interesting..

We found the bridge and he told me the story of his navy friend who lived on the "other" side of the North Fork of the Shenandoah River and the only way to his house was across a "low water " bridge. :o How do you get across the river when the water is over the "low-water' bridge :?: A SWINGING BRIDGE :!: Cliff's navy buddy lived quite a ways up the river from the crossing. He had a stick in his yard. When the water reached the stick, he knew he could not cross the "low-water" bridge. So, when there was a threat of flooding he would leave his car on the other side of the river and use the swinging bridge to get to it.

THERE IS NO WAY THIS "SWINGING" BRIDGE IS SAFE :shock: Almost all the boards on the bridge had been replaced, but what about the others :!: :o and naturally there were kids on the bridge that liked to make it SWING :!: It was terrible and I am never going back. ;)
Cliff found the "swinging" bridge
Cliff found the "swinging" bridge
"Boy, that's a long way down"
"Boy, that's a long way down"
Hold on!!
Hold on!!
My condolences to Cliff who lost his younger brother to covid last Tuesday
My condolences to Cliff who lost his younger brother to covid last Tuesday

A silly video
https://youtu.be/F_OlqfVbBIY
Suspension Bridges crossing North Fork Shenandoah River
This is a list of all 5 bridges from the suspension bridge inventory crossing North Fork Shenandoah River.
https://www.bridgemeister.com/list.php? ... doah+River